What are the requirements for a summer language program?

Summer language programs for undergraduates and graduates at all levels of language learning should be a minimum of 6 consecutive weeks. 140 contact hours, or in-classroom instruction, is required for beginner (graduate only) and intermediate level instruction. 120 contact hours are required at the advanced level.

Can I use a summer FLAS award to study at a non-KU hosted study abroad program?

Yes, if you are a KU student you are eligible to use your summer FLAS award for a Student-Initiated Program (SIP). SIPs allow KU students to earn KU credit for study abroad programs sponsored by other accredited and approved universities and colleges.  All SIPs must be approved by KU's Office of Study Abroad as well as your language's FLAS Coordinator.

Am I required to register with the KU Office of Study Abroad if I am attending a non-KU, student-initiated study abroad program?

Yes. Registration with the KU Office of Study Abroad (OSA) benefits the student by providing study abroad orientation, credit transfer and transcript services, and access to other KU aid if applicable. Registration with OSA also covers both the student and center for liability purposes, should the student have any issues during their study abroad program and require evacuation or repatriation services, for example.

Am I required to register with the KU Office of Study Abroad if I am attending a non-KU, student-initiated domestic program?

No. You are only required to register with the KU Office of Study Abroad if you are intending on study outside of the United States. You are required, however, to obtain approval for your domestic program from your FLAS Coordinator.

I am intending to study outside of the United States. When should I register with the KU Office of Study Abroad?

The Office of Study Abroad recommends that students register by March 1 if they would like to be considered for financial aid, but it is highly recommended that students register with the Office of Study Abroad at the same time as they submit their FLAS application. It is always better to identify a study abroad program earlier rather than later, and students will not incur any OSA fees with earlier registration. Students may use the same information for both the FLAS application and the Office of Study Abroad application.

Will I have to pay the KU Office of Study Abroad application fee if I do not receive a FLAS?

No. You can apply through the Office of Study Abroad then rescind your application if you do not receive a FLAS award without incurring any fees or penalties. KU Office of Study Abroad fees are only due upon signing of the OSA contract (late April). What many students find is if they register with OSA early, but do not receive a FLAS, there is still KU financial aid available to them and they are still able to go on the program even without FLAS funding. Early registration, therefore, is an excellent back-up plan.

Can I build the cost of the KU Office of Study Abroad application fee into my tuition?

It is possible that a portion of the KU Office of Study Abroad application fee may be built into the tuition of your FLAS award. This is determined on an individual, program-specific basis, so please contact your FLAS Coordinator to determine if this is possible for your program.

If I am a non-KU student, can I be awarded a KU FLAS to study at a KU hosted program?

Yes. Both KU and Non-KU students are encouraged to apply for FLAS Fellowships covering KU hosted programs.

Is it okay to use a summer fellowship to attend a domestic program and an overseas program during the same summer award period?

Yes. A summer fellowship may be used to attend a domestic language program, an overseas language program, or both. The fellow may divide the required program weeks and contact hours between a domestic program and an overseas program.

Am I allowed to conduct independent research as part of my summer FLAS program?

No. The student must meet the program duration and contact hours of instruction with intensive language training coursework only. A summer fellowship must offer the student the equivalent of a full-year of classroom language training. It is therefore unallowable to detract from this requirement to conduct research.

Will my FLAS award cover all my program expenses?

Not always. Summer FLAS Fellowships (undergraduate and graduate) provide up to $5,000 for summer tuition and a stipend of $2,500. If your program's tuition exceeds $5,000, for example, you will be responsible for covering the additional costs.

Will my FLAS Award cover all my travel expenses?

No. Technically, FLAS awards do not cover any travel expenses. Some FLAS recipients choose to pay the cost of their travel expenses from their stipend, but this is at the discretion of the student. Depending on if the funds are available at the end of the summer, a center may offer travel awards to students with international travel expenses, but these travel awards are not guaranteed and are entirely at the discretion of the center and dependent on whether or not the monies are available.

What is the Fly America Act?

The Fly America Act states that all travel funded by the U.S. Government must be with a U.S. flag air carrier service (e.g., U.S. airline). Because FLAS Fellowships are funded by the U.S. Department of Education, all FLAS awardees are required to be ticketed with a U.S. flag carrier. We understand that U.S. flag carriers are not always available to the final destination, however, a U.S. flag carrier must be used to the furthest destination possible. Booking with a U.S. flag carrier is particularly important if you would like to be considered for a discretionary travel award.

My program's tuition rate is low. Can I apply for the full award amount ($5,000) and use those monies to cover extra expenses like purchasing books or supplementing my subsistence allowance?

No. You may only receive the actual tuition amount for your program.

If my summer program's fee includes room and board, do I still receive the full $2,500 subsistence allowance?

No. The stipend should not be used for any duplicating costs. The stipend is meant to cover personal expenses including room and board. If these amounts are already covered as part of a total fee (e.g., tuition, fees, room, and board) then they will be deducted from the final amount. For example, if a program costs $5,000 and of that amount $4,000 is for tuition and fees and $1,000 is for room and board, then that $1,000 will be deducted from your stipend and you will receive only $1,500.