Your application should include:
1. Statement of Purpose
Your statement of purpose must be a two-page, double-spaced document describing your:
- Educational background and future career plans
- Interest in the discipline and language
- Planned course of study
- How your language study will further your career plans
- Relation of the language to your current degree program
First time applicants are strongly advised to visit the KU Writing Center
2. Your Current Curriculum Vitae or Resume
This document should be converted to a PDF and attached to your online application.
3. KU Advising Report or Most Recent College Transcript
This document should be converted to a PDF and attached to your online application. See KU Advising Report for instructions on how to generate it.
Successful applications will include fall grades from the semester preceding the application deadline.
4. Unofficial Transcripts From a Previous School or Program
- For Undergraduate Students: High school transcripts
- For Graduate Students: Undergraduate transcripts
You may ask the secretary of your home department to photocopy the transcripts you submitted when you applied for graduate work at the University; do not go to the extreme of ordering new originals. Undergraduate students may obtain copies of their high school transcripts from their advisor.
5. Information About the Program You Intend to Enroll in, if Not a KU Program
If you plan to study abroad during the academic year or summer, or attend a non-KU domestic intensive summer language program, please attach an electronic copy of the brochure for the program, or include in your email the website of the program (in English). You should also include the following information:
- Total number of weeks of the program
- Total number of hours in language study (contact hours) in the program
- Projected departure and return date
- Start and end dates of the program
- A paragraph explaining why you have selected the program
- If international travel is required, an airline itinerary. Your itinerary must comply with the Fly America Act.
6. Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) from your FAFSA
Provide your Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) from your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) Student Aid Report (SAR)
7. (Study Abroad Only) Registration with the KU Study Abroad and Global Engagement Office
If your are planning to study abroad, complete your official registration with the KU Study Abroad and Global Engagement Office